Valley ATV Club

Torsion axles vs. Leaf spring

f-throop

I am looking to get an enclosed trailer. The ones on the lot didn't really suit my needs, so I might have one built. I was offered a choice between leaf spring axle or torsion axle. Leaning towards leaf for longevity & easier replacement. 

Has anyone had experience with both ? If so what is your preference on a trailer that might get pulled off road occasionally ?

Thanx in advance for the input 👍😉

Two of my trailers are torsion axle. My single place trailer is leaf spring. There was a review done on the Jumping Jack (our tent trailer) and they took it off road and it specifically mentioned the axle was a factor in being able to take it through an off road course. Attached is a PDF of it.

Jumping Jack review .pdf

There wad no difference in insurance my concern is longevity, but also the ability to make a trailroad repair. It seems that many of these units are welded to the frame & require a big expense to replace. On a different note it seems that airstream started using this system in the mid 60's. The upgrade is about $250. I'm gonna investigate a little more. If Denise doesn't come up with something better, I'm probably placing order on tuesday. Contemplating multiple rows of E-bar & ladder rack on top, for multi use 👍😉