Valley ATV Club

HID conversion

mikeexplorer

Kinda slow around here :dunno: The lights on my quad kinda suck, I was looking into adding LED bars and even the LED lights the chef has, but rather then add on to the quad (and also burns more power) it would be better to replace the existing lights with HID. Found these kits on Ebay for $38 each. Two sets is enough to replace all four lights and will draw the same power as the existing lights.

Will post the results, have to dry out one housing first, I already have an idea where to mount the ballasts. They are listed as fully waterproof so they should be ok for the quad.

Mike

SANY0009 (Small).JPG

Here is the link, Ebay site

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270890515433?var=570053762354&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

All Cats use 880 style bulb. (except the 366/425i models) I purchased the 6000K bulbs.

Went out locally for a night ride and wow! what a difference. I also have to account for since my frame and plastics are "tweeked" the headlamp housings do not line up properly. Today I plan to do a quick ride at Lost Trails and take a picture inside the tunnel. I have pictures from before I did this change. So I will have an accurate "before & after"

These are 37 watt kits which means they do not draw any more power then the stock lights. I bought two kits to do both set of lights which still made it cheaper then adding LED light bars and such.

The only downside is it takes 5 to 10 seconds for the lights to come up to full brightness.

Mike

2013-06-22_21-08-22_78 (Small).jpg

Here is a good example of the difference. Both pictures taken inside the tunnel at Lost Trails. he difference is amazing. That is even accounting for the headlights are not aimed properly because the plastics and frame are out of alignment.

Mike

Tunnel (Small).JPG

2013-06-23_14-45-33_454 (Small).jpg

Looking good Mike. You can lead the night ride at potter...lol

• 2 months later...

A few pictures of the installation of the HID kit for those who want to use them. Bob, these should help you in how to install them. I kept them forward of the oil cooler so they don't get too hot.

They are simply ZIP tied to the front frame with larger zip ties. They have been working out well with no issues.

Mike

SANY0001 (Small).JPG

SANY0003 (Small).JPG

SANY0004 (Small).JPG

SANY0008 (Small).JPG

SANY0011 (Small).JPG

SANY0014 (Small).JPG