Valley ATV Club

Fuel Gauge Fix

Guest MtnBob

Guest MtnBob

One of the problems I was having with my Polaris was the electronic gas gauge started acting up, it quit reading full, would drop one or segments after 3 or 4 miles it became totally unreliable, I talked to the dealer and he said i needed a new tank assembly as the fuel sensor was built into the tank, cost of the tank assembly $528.00 !!! Well that was not going to happen, I ran off the odometer and I always carry spare gas. During our last club ride in June I was talking about the problem and Mike Guzzi suggested putting Chevron Techron fuel additive in, he had seen a service bulletin from Arctic Cat about the same problem. I did as he suggested and one tankful of gas later the gauge is working much better, it reads full when full and does not drop off as fast, I think one or more tankfuls with the Techron will completely fix the problem. Thanks Mike!!

Last year the gauge on my SUV acted up and would only read between half and full all the time. Just did this out of the blue and did not go away. I dumped the Techron in and about two weeks later it cleared up and has not acted up since. This was about a year ago.

The sending unit apparently gets fouled by the sulfur and/or the ethanol additives in the gas. My Arctic cat gauge got so bad at one point the Techron would not fix it and it had to be replaced. At least it was only $70. The symptoms were similar. Would read full sitting, but as soon as you ride it would drop to empty.

Mike