Winch

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_gtchief_*

Guest_gtchief_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2010 - 12:37 PM

Hey guys,

Is anyone running a viper winch? If so how long have you had it, how much have you used it, and how is it holding up. For more than half the price of a comparable warn its tempting, but I'm nervous about that price because you get what you pay for alot. Have you sunk it and done some mudding on it? Thanks.

#2 Guest_neparhino_*

Guest_neparhino_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2010 - 02:52 PM

Theres a guy on the internet that builds competition and race SXS's and sells Vipers exclusively. Besides that I've heard about guys using Vipers and Extreme winches and were happy. Hope this helps a little.

#3 chefboyrbob

chefboyrbob

Tresurer

• Officers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • Interests:to be outdoors riding and camping

Posted 06 February 2010 - 05:46 PM

Corey

go to ebay punch in promark 3000lb winch they are made by gorilla and are waterproof I have one on my quad and you can't beat it it's used hard and so far no problems..It comes complete with everything you need for 95.00 with shipping

2012 razor 570.to much money and to much time invested

#4 Guest_neparhino_*

Guest_neparhino_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2010 - 08:06 PM

Wow, you cant beat that price :o

#5 Guest_gtchief_*

Guest_gtchief_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2010 - 11:10 PM

Thanks guys. I'm leaning towards the viper right now. I do want to get a 4000lb because the teryx is about 1200 or so. Most of my research hasnt seen too much negative on them. I've just had such good luck with my warns I'm hesitant to change to something else, but money talks. I just want to find out if it comes with the proper teryx mount or not and I'll probably order. Thanks again.

#6 Guest_gtchief_*

Guest_gtchief_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2010 - 06:49 PM

Just ordered a 4000lb viper for the teryx. Hopefully I dont run in to any problems.

#7 Guest_MtnBob_*

Guest_MtnBob_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2010 - 08:14 PM

I replaced my Polaris factory winch with the Viper 4500, It bolted up nice onto the factory mount and wiring. It runs smooth so far. One problem with it was the cable would jam if you didn't wind it back perfectly. I solved that by going to a synthetic cable, I'll never use wire cable again, the synthetic is a dream come true. I would strongly recommend you put the synthetic on yours.

MtnBob

#8 Guest_gtchief_*

Guest_gtchief_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2010 - 08:53 PM

The teryx wont be mudding like the brute does so I dont plan on using it too much. Its more of an insurance policy incase I get it in a jam. If I were to be using it more than I may have gone synthetic, but I also would have gone warn too.

#9 Guest_gtchief_*

Guest_gtchief_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2010 - 09:27 PM

The winch came today. Didnt have a chance to put it on yet, but hopefully within the next week. It looks like a pretty good solid unit. Its nice that it comes with everything I will need and a couple things that arent necessary. Hoping to have some good luck with it and time will tell.

#10 Guest_neparhino_*

Guest_neparhino_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:02 AM

On my Rhino the battery is under the hood just like a car and running wires was super easy. I'd much rather install a winch on a UTV anyday compared to an ATV.

#11 Guest_neparhino_*

Guest_neparhino_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:03 AM

On my Rhino the battery is under the hood just like a car and running wires was super easy. I'd much rather install a winch on a UTV anyday compared to an ATV.

#12 Guest_gtchief_*

Guest_gtchief_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2010 - 08:34 PM

Just thought I'd share my winch install for anyone thinking Viper. The winch itself seems to be of good quality. As I went to install it some other areas seemed like the cut corners. The included hardware seems a little bit light; I'm sure its fine as I still used it, but didnt have grade 5 markings on it. The rocker switch seems good with a rubber boot on the rocker, but the wires on it left me wanting something better. Maybe I had the wrong splicers(werent included) but what I had didn't bit in to the power wire twice so I'll have three cut marks on my power wire on the teryx. I didnt have the same problem with the wired remote though. The wire ties included were complete junk and useless. As I was trying to get it around some tubing I shattered two of them. This isnt a huge deal since I have tons of the things, but worth noting. The cables going between the contactor and winch/battery seem fine though.

Thats my take for anyone looking to purchase a Viper in the future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users