bigbens trailer build

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_bigben_*

Guest_bigben_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2009 - 11:08 AM

This has been something that I have wanted to do since back in the winter time. Whenever I ride close by it is a pain to load up the enclosed trailer and I do not like to take off my tonno cover on my pickup. I wanted to have it done by harlan last year but did not really get on it too much. just kept hauling it like usual. I asked my father if he wanted an old popup frame he had sitting in the weeds back beside my house. He naturally wanted to know what I was going to do with it. So I told him that I wanted to make a small flat bed trailer out of it to haul my quad around. I measured it and there were a two possible configruations that I could do. First off though a pic of the trailer.

Posted Image

At first i was planning on unbolting the axle flipping it upside down that way it would put the deck above the tires and I could make a 2 place atv trailer. after measuring though the frame was just too small for a machine as big as the rincon. it would have been a tight squeeze. So I scratched that idea. So it was settled I was going to do a single place atv trailer that I could also use to haul whatever around the house with using the rincon. So it would be dual purpose. I then started thinking about flooring options. FIrst I was thinking about getting diamond plate that was 1/8" thick to weld to the floor for a solid floor. it would also add a bit of weight to preload the springs just a bit. I found out though that was pretty expensive. I quickly realize I would have been better off buying a new trailer instead of putting a bunch of money into this one, but I had just been given a bunch of 2X6 pressure treated boards. Idea I was going to use the 2X6's for the floor. So far total cost $0.00

I looked around and found a decent set of 20.5" tires that were laying around from the multitude of campers that we had torn apart. I picked two good ones out and mounted em up. the small wheel barrel tires that were on it I figured would blow the bearings apart on those long road trips. After getting them on I needed to start figuring how the ramps would attach. Along with how I was going to do the lighting and fenders. At the time I did not want ramps that stayed attached. I was plannin on making something that they would clip into on the rear to unload and load the quad then they would be stored up front for transport. For the fenders I wanted something that if someone stood on they wouldn't buckle. Namely me. When the quad is on this trailer it is just as wide as the frame rails less a few inchs. Whenever I would get off I would be stepping right on the fender to get off the trailer. So I am plannin on using two pieces of 12" wide by 36" long diamond plate that is 1/8" thick. I will bend them at work to the shape I need then weld them on tight. These should be able to withstand my weight. For the lighting I was planning on getting a regular trailer lighting kit from tsc or a trailer supply store. I am also plannin on adding a few white led lights somewhere on the trailer for lighting at night. I am not sure how I am going to rig them up but I think it would be a nice addition to the trailer so when I am loading the quad up at night I will have light to do so. They will run off the trucks battery. I am thinking about putting the turn signals on the fender to keep them from getting ripped off. once I get the fenders welded on that will determine where I place them.

So I had a basic idea drawn out of paper with what I wanted to do. I needed to cut off the extra supports on the sides and since the levelers in the middle were welded tight I cut them out too. I plan on adding some addition support in the four corners where I cut the jacks out so that the trailer has some stregth if I am rear ended or I back into something. So that brings us up to now.

September 2nd Last night I pulled out the cutting torch. I cut off the unneeded pieces that were welded on and started grinding down the frame to smooth it out. got about a 1/4 of it ground last night. I plan on grinding the rest tonight and hopefully I will have the trailer cleaned up welded and ready for pain by the end of labor day weekend. my goal is to have this done by september 19th
Posted Image

September 3rd Here are the fenders that I bent up. they are 1/8" diamond plate.

Posted Image

Septmber 8th. I have the fenders welded onto the trailer. I also cleaned up all the old welds that were left off from cutting off the uneeded brackets. this afternoon I am stoping at a weld shop to pick up some more materials to finish the fabrication part of the build. I will post a pic tommarow of what it looks like now. Once I get these pieces welded on then all that will need to be done is paint run wires and put the floor on. I also finally decided on how I am going to tie the quad down once on the trailer and finished. I will be adding four tie down points at the rear of the trailer that will tie the quad down by running straps over both rear tires. at first I was planning on doing the front and then making something that would keep the rear from walking around on the trailer while in transit. instead I decided to use the rear tires and use two straps to keep it from hopping up the trailer. it might be a non issue though.

#2 Guest_bigben_*

Guest_bigben_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2009 - 07:28 AM

here is an updated pic of the trailer.

Posted Image

and a pic of the lighting kit that I got. inside is a wiring harness for both a vehicle and the trailer both rear lights and side marker lights.

Posted Image

#3 Guest_bigben_*

Guest_bigben_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2009 - 07:03 AM

Well all done with the welding part of it. I got the light brackets on. I also mounted the amber running lights that came in the kit. The light brackets are made out of 3x5" angle that is .25" thick. Kinda just something that was laying around. Sunday I will be preping the frame and hopefully painting it. all that is left after that is putting the deck on and figuring out where the tiedowns are supposed to go.

Rear view of the trailer. This is right behind it. not following distance. and the plate that is on it is a truck plate we had laying around that is expired so I knew where to line up the lights at.

Posted Image

side view of how I did the mounts. I welded these to the fender to strengthen up the fender even more. there will be a drain hole then to drain water out that will collect.

Posted Image

and last but not least I snapped a pic of my pooch. imagine laying under your vehicle working on it and you go for that wrench that was just there and it moved. You crawl out from underneath and there he is with it in his mouth 3ft away with the biggest grin a dog can have. the little chit.

Posted Image

#4 swampcat07

swampcat07

750cc Class

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • Interests:ATVS and Travel

Posted 10 September 2009 - 08:52 AM

Is there a title and plate for the trailer? If your getting it titled as special construction you need to produce all of your reciepts.

2015 Arctic Cat Trail Limited

2015 Arctic Cat TRV 1000 XT

2007 Arctic Cat 650 H1 LE

2007 Arctic Cat 500

#5 Guest_MtnBob_*

Guest_MtnBob_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2009 - 09:14 AM

Hey Ben,
I would bolt or fasten the tie down points to the trailer structure/frame not just the decking. Trailer looks good.

MtnBob

#6 Guest_bigben_*

Guest_bigben_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2009 - 10:08 AM

there allready is a title and plate for it. swampcat

and for the tiedowns. I was thinking about that. I never seen other trailers go through the frame and using 2X6's I believe will help. I am not sure what I am gonna do for the tiedows. I know I am going to use tire straps. but not sure if I want to limit myself to how they are attached. at first I was plannin on using e track. then I got worried about junk getting in the slots and making it a pain to get out. so I was going to buy a set of the fastraps. well that went out the window when I seen the price along with the fact that they need to stay on the trailer. so now I am back to putting 4 tie down points in or using e track. e track would work better imo because you can move your tie points around wherever you need em to. in case I buy another quad or haul somone elses. I am not plannin on running it all the way the length of the trailer but with e track it is supposed to be screwed down to thin material. utilizing multiple screws for holding power not just two bolts. so I am still leaning that way. actually leaning pretty hard that way. so we will see yet.

#7 Guest_justin_*

Guest_justin_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2009 - 06:09 PM

Ben, I built a 6.5 x 12 ft tralier and use 3 I-lags on each side but I only use ratchet straps to hold my machines and that seems to work well. I also sware by using greaseabe bearings on the hubs, this way way you can just hook a greasegun to them and pump, otherwise you have to pop the dust cover and pack the grease in.

#8 TimberRider

TimberRider

VATV Founder

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts
  • Interests:Atv'ing, camping, hunting,
    fishing ect. Ride a 2010
    Arctic Cat TRV 550 W/Power
    Steering.3,000 lb. viper winch,
    heated grips and thumb warmer,
    hand guards, horn, speed rack system
    and a h2o bottle holder.

Posted 10 September 2009 - 06:34 PM

Justin's right. Bearing buddies are the way to go... ;)
"RIDE OFTEN & RIDE SAFE WEAR A HELMET"
See You On The Trail
2010 Arctic Cat , TRV 550S, W/Power Steering

#9 TimberRider

TimberRider

VATV Founder

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts
    fishing ect. Ride a 2010
    and a h2o bottle holder.

Posted 10 September 2009 - 06:37 PM

I have a trailer that someone gave me but it has no title. Someone abandoned it at a motel I service 4 years ago. The owner told me if I want it take it. He just wanted it out of his parking lot. My son and I cleaned it up. Painted it ,put new lights on it ect. Now we have to figure out how to title it.
See You On The Trail

#10 Guest_bigben_*

Guest_bigben_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2009 - 07:10 PM

this trailer allready has bearing buddies in it. I am plannin on tearing them apart and re packing them though. that way any rust dirt that might be in there will not be pushed into the bearings.

#11 mikeexplorer

mikeexplorer

Secretary

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,547 posts
  • Interests:ATV riding, Abandoned Railroad exploring, Model trains, Skiing, and Hiking

Posted 11 September 2009 - 05:06 AM

there allready is a title and plate for it. swampcat

and for the tiedowns. I was thinking about that. I never seen other trailers go through the frame and using 2X6's I believe will help. I am not sure what I am gonna do for the tiedows. I know I am going to use tire straps. but not sure if I want to limit myself to how they are attached. at first I was plannin on using e track. then I got worried about junk getting in the slots and making it a pain to get out.

Mine has a track like that so I can move the tie down positions if needed. Your right about junk getting in there but I found a hit with the power washer would clean it out well. After awhile I had no need to move them as I found the sweet spot for loading 1 or two quads with ease.

Mike

2010 Arctic Cat 366 4X4 SE
2012 Arctic Cat 450 4X4 H1

2017 Arctic Cat Alterra 400

#12 Guest_bigben_*

Guest_bigben_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2009 - 06:51 AM

here is the trailer painted. there is a coat of rust red primer on it and then a coat of low gloss black implement paint. brushed on. I did both top and bottom. I also took apart both hubs and cleaned both bearings and then repacked them with grease. this trailer is equipped with bearing buddies. so I made sure that they were working properly.

Posted Image

#13 Guest_bigben_*

Guest_bigben_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2009 - 07:33 AM

I finished the wiring last night. hooked the trailer up to the truck and tested the lights and everything worked like it should. now all that is left is put the deck on and that is it.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 TimberRider

TimberRider

VATV Founder

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts
    fishing ect. Ride a 2010
    and a h2o bottle holder.

Posted 16 September 2009 - 03:32 PM

Nice job Ben. It's looking good.
See You On The Trail

#15 Guest_bigben_*

Guest_bigben_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2009 - 06:33 AM

well finally done. I got the hardware to bolt the deck down to the frame yesterday afternoon. after about a hour of work I had the deck done. I loaded the quad down and decided to mount it all the way forward as possible. this leaves room on the rear for a cooler or in this case a fire barrel. total costs for the project.

$10.00 material for inside fenders
$15.00 for paint and brushs
$20.00 for light kit
$50.00 for galvanized hardware to secure deck
$15.00 For tie down points.

total 110 bucks.

The main goal was to build a small compact trailer that I could use for long trips or short trips. mainly the shorter ones. I wanted to do it on a budget though that it would be cheaper and better built then a commercially made one. the only thing I need to do yet is buy two new tires. they are 60 bucks a piece and that will put me to 230 bucks. which is still cheaper then one you can buy. the deck is 4ft 6" wide and 8 ft long. finally pics

what I started with

Posted Image

what I ended up with.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

heck I even made my own deadline. this afternoon I head north. :)

#16 TimberRider

TimberRider

VATV Founder

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts
    fishing ect. Ride a 2010