Synthetic Winch Cable

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_MtnBob_*

Guest_MtnBob_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2009 - 11:28 AM

Hey Everybody,
I bought a synthetic winch cable online and it came in yesterday. Its weird because it hardly weighs anything and it looks like that cheap plastic polyester rope. It is rated at 7700 lbs, its 50' long and it has a protective sleeve for about 5', the package also included a smooth alum. hawse and mounting hardware. I'm installing it this weekend. If anyone has had any experiance with this stuff please let me know.

Thanks
Mtnbob

#2 Guest_gtchief_*

Guest_gtchief_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2009 - 04:47 PM

Pretty sure I've read pretty good things about them. The main thing I saw was some people said they arent good for raising/lowering a plow. Besides that you should be in good shape; just make sure you use the supplied fairlead.

#3 Guest_justin_*

Guest_justin_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2009 - 06:45 AM

I recommend a well lubricated " roller" type fairlead, especially if u do alot of plowing. The constant up and down with a stationary fairlead WILL wear down the rope. I have heard of guys using synthetic will actually splice a 4-5 foot peice of steel cable on the end when they are plowing so it doesnt rub the rope down too much.

#4 Guest_MtnBob_*

Guest_MtnBob_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2009 - 07:29 AM

Thanks guys, good info. I like that idea of putting a short piece of steel cable for plowing. Thanks Again!

MtnBob

#5 Guest_bigben_*

Guest_bigben_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2009 - 08:59 AM

actually it is better to just take your steel cable cut about a ten foot piece out of a good section of it and use that. when plow season rolls around unload your synthetic and then load on the ten foot piece. use the roller fairlead you have now for the wire and keep the smooth one for the synthetic. make sure you do not have any knicks on whatever fairlead you use or else you will have cut rope at the end of the day. plus if a syn winch line snaps many times you can tie it back together again to get you out. not the safest by any means but supposedly the syn line does not snap back. lighter too. I am looking to change mine over to synthetic line shortly.

#6 Guest_gtchief_*

Guest_gtchief_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2009 - 04:16 PM

Justin,

A roller fairlead will destroy a synthetic rope. They gave the other type for that reason.

#7 Guest_justin_*

Guest_justin_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2009 - 04:54 PM

Really, I would think just the opposite. I thought there would be alot less contact with rollers opposed to a stationary peice of steel. :huh:

#8 Guest_bigben_*

Guest_bigben_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2009 - 01:52 PM

it is not so much the roller fairlead. the problem is that when people change their rope from wire to synthetic they do not change the fairlead. the old one that used wires has ruff edges on it and will cause it to fray and over time actually break. with the aluminum fairlead that is new it will no get raised edges on it unless you wind your hook up to tight. make sure that the hook does not make contact with the aluminum without rubber between em also.

#9 Guest_MtnBob_*

Guest_MtnBob_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2009 - 04:20 PM

Well I got the synthetic cable on and what a difference! The steel cable would kink and bind, not at all with the new one :) It went on very smoothly with no binding with room to spare on the spool. I did use the solid aluminum fairlead that came with the synthetic cable, I did some research and every bit of info I found said to use the solid fairlead. I used my rubber stopper to protect the fairlead as BigBen had suggested too. I will let everyone know how it performs or many of you will see it in action as I will continue to pull non Polaris owners out of trouble. :rolleyes:

Thanks

MtnBob

#10 Guest_bigben_*

Guest_bigben_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2009 - 01:17 PM

come on mt bob you aint havin fun till ya get stuck. :) good to see it went on easy. still make sure you respool it every now and then after using.

#11 TimberRider

TimberRider

VATV Founder

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts
  • Interests:Atv'ing, camping, hunting,
    fishing ect. Ride a 2010
    Arctic Cat TRV 550 W/Power
    Steering.3,000 lb. viper winch,
    heated grips and thumb warmer,
    hand guards, horn, speed rack system
    and a h2o bottle holder.

Posted 31 August 2009 - 03:00 PM

For all of you that get stuck on a regular basis you need to learn a practice that Jim Williams taught me long ago. It's called, "Go Around"... :D
"RIDE OFTEN & RIDE SAFE WEAR A HELMET"
See You On The Trail
2010 Arctic Cat , TRV 550S, W/Power Steering

#12 swampcat07

swampcat07

750cc Class

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • Interests:ATVS and Travel

Posted 02 September 2009 - 12:24 PM

Stuck is how you learn. If your not getting stuck then your ATV has alot of potential you do not know about. Bob your right about the POPO though, but you have to go in the mud to possibly get stuck.

All kidding aside I know some people that use a small tie down to lower and lift their plow in the winter instead of the rope wound on the drum. They also sell short sections of rope for plowing (NA Warhorse).

Ben changing the fairlead for the winter is a good idea never thougt about that and should take less than five minutes.

2015 Arctic Cat Trail Limited

2015 Arctic Cat TRV 1000 XT

2007 Arctic Cat 650 H1 LE

2007 Arctic Cat 500

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users